Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Washing Machine Cleaners??

Washing Machine Cleaners?? 2 months 1 week ago #1

When I purchased my 2018 3921GK I opted for the optional Splendide stackable washer/dryer set. I've been really happy with them but I've noticed a bit of odor from the washer. I think this is typical of all front load washing machines. I wipe the machine out after each use and try and leave the door ajar to let it dry out but it still smells a bit. I've tried using Afresh and now Tide has a new washer cleaner and these products help a lot with the odor but I was wondering if I need to be concerned with the effects of these washing machine cleaners on my gray water holding tank/tank valves? Anyone have any experience or feedback on this? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Washing Machine Cleaners?? 2 months 1 week ago #2

The washing machine has a drain cycle, DW uses it after finishing laundry & have not had any odors. We have used the washer cleaning products & as far as I know at this point hasn't hurt the holding tank, but if we have sewer connected I leave that grey (wash machine, lavatory & shower) valve open.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PunksRedwood

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Washing Machine Cleaners?? 2 months 1 week ago #3

Danny and Linda wrote: The washing machine has a drain cycle, DW uses it after finishing laundry & have not had any odors. We have used the washer cleaning products & as far as I know at this point hasn't hurt the holding tank, but if we have sewer connected I leave that grey (wash machine, lavatory & shower) valve open.

Thanks for the reply Danny and Linda. I’m glad to hear you are using these products without issue. Heck I kinda figured that if these products clean and deodorize the washer they should probably do so for the tank as well.

I am permanently hooked up to a sewer line but I have a warning sticker on the side of my coach near the sewer hose connection that warns not to leave the valves open to prevent sewer gas accumulation which can pose a serious health hazard.

Washing Machine Cleaners?? 2 months 1 week ago #4

I always form a P trap in my sewer hose by dropping a sag in it on one end or the other, in the middle or wherever works, to prevent gases from filling the tank. Then leaving the valve open isn't a problem.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
Last Edit: by Danny and Linda.

Washing Machine Cleaners?? 2 months 1 week ago #5

Danny and Linda wrote: I always form a P trap in my sewer hose by dropping a sag in it on one end or the other, in the middle or wherever works, to prevent gases from filling the tank. Then leaving the valve open isn't a problem.

Thanks Danny and Linda. Never thought about creating a p-trap/dip in the sewer hose. Makes sense but won't work in the winter unless of course I heat the sewer hose.

Washing Machine Cleaners?? 2 months 1 week ago #6

We leave our gray tanks open most of the time.

If it comes time to dump the black tank, I'll go out there a day or two ahead and close the valve (if I remember). The only reason is so that I can flush the line afterward with somewhat cleaner water. It also helps the property owner keep the lines clean.

All of the sinks, dishwasher, shower, laundry have P-traps or the in-line Hepvo drain traps. The vent stacks go thru the roof or have the siphon valves. Chances are pretty slim any smells would come in. If they did, I'd start investigating.

There have been stories where others leave their gray valves open as well. A remote few have had critters come up the lines. I suppose even cockroaches could get in that way. I guess we have been fortunate over the last 3 years. No problems thus far. But our connections are solid (screwed in). Not just "plugged" in.

As for the washer, we have the same set. We too get that funky smell from time to time. I'm going to give Danny's suggestion a try and see if it works here the next time that comes up.

Anything you put in the tanks (like cleaners a.k.a. bleach, shower cleaners, etc), can kill out the good things that keep the septic working. Others clean with harsh products without regard to the property owner. I try not to tick them off wherever I am. It keeps the rents cheaper that way...(at least it doesn't give them that excuse to go up. They will have to use another)...

Washing Machine Cleaners?? 2 months 1 week ago #7

PunksRedwood wrote:

Danny and Linda wrote: I always form a P trap in my sewer hose by dropping a sag in it on one end or the other, in the middle or wherever works, to prevent gases from filling the tank. Then leaving the valve open isn't a problem.

Thanks Danny and Linda. Never thought about creating a p-trap/dip in the sewer hose. Makes sense but won't work in the winter unless of course I heat the sewer hose.

In the winter I only hook up the hose to drain when needed & put back away.
Usually in winter we are somewhere, anywhere, that freezing is not going to be in the forecast!!!

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu