Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sumec 17.5 Wheels

Sumec 17.5 Wheels 2 months 5 days ago #1

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 66

• Redwood/2016/39MB
Just and FYI to folks with the Sumec 17.5 Wheels, we've had our second wheel failure of a pin hole leak. The first was when the unit was first delivered and now this second after over 30K miles. Was fine during a days travel, but next morning TPMS was beeping at me with low pressure. Took the tire/wheel to a shop where it was dunked and yep, leaking through a pin hole in the wheel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Sumec 17.5 Wheels 2 months 5 days ago #2

mhs4771 wrote: Just and FYI to folks with the Sumec 17.5 Wheels, we've had our second wheel failure of a pin hole leak. The first was when the unit was first delivered and now this second after over 30K miles. Was fine during a days travel, but next morning TPMS was beeping at me with low pressure. Took the tire/wheel to a shop where it was dunked and yep, leaking through a pin hole in the wheel.

Sorry to hear about this. I also have the Sumec Bearcat wheels. A qualified wheel shop should be able to repair a pin hole leak in a wheel. Did you replace or repair it? I've heard of some wheels cracking but nothing specifically on the Sumec wheels. One other question? What type of TPMS are you using with these wheels? I've got a new Ford Super Duty that can integrate the trailer tires into the system but the internal sensors need to fit the wheels.

Sumec 17.5 Wheels 2 months 5 days ago #3

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 66

• Redwood/2016/39MB
It's either a bad casting or there was an issue the Mfr tried to patch. Odd that this second failure lasted over three years, but the wheels do have a 5 year warranty, so I'll have a new wheel on it way from Lionshead the supplier to RW.
Using the TST 507 that I just changed too and very glad I did, as my previous Tire Traker would take 15 to 20 minutes of travel before it would display the current pressures.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Sumec 17.5 Wheels 2 months 5 days ago #4

What are the wheels supplied by Titan Guy? So far mine are great!

Sumec 17.5 Wheels 2 months 3 days ago #5

• alan0043
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 3

• Redwood/2019/3401
Hi Everyone,

I have not gone to Sumec web site to see what the warranty covers. But does anyone know if the clear coat that is put on the wheels covered under any warranty ? The trailer is a 2019. Build date I think is 05-22-2019.

Thank you for any input,
Al

Sumec 17.5 Wheels 2 months 3 days ago #6

Maybe the build date is 2018? With that, it's still under warranty, talk to your dealer & let them get you a new wheel, that's their job, but give them a time limit. If they drag their feet then you can call the wheel manufacturer.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
Last Edit: by Danny and Linda.

Sumec 17.5 Wheels 1 month 4 weeks ago #7

• Tigger
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 0

• Tigger
  • Redwood/2013/RW40KB13
I have a 2013 RW40KB13 and two of the wheels cracked. I TIG welded them and they simply cracked again. Is there a reason why no one uses steel wheels? They would end the problem and the new chrome wheel covers look great.

Sumec 17.5 Wheels 1 month 4 weeks ago #8

Tigger wrote: I have a 2013 RW40KB13 and two of the wheels cracked. I TIG welded them and they simply cracked again. Is there a reason why no one uses steel wheels? They would end the problem and the new chrome wheel covers look great.

WEIGHT! And supposedly the aluminum runs cooler?
We had an '02 Cedar Creek that all 4 wheels eventually cracked, as they did I replaced them with steel wheels, same wheel pattern but painted not polished. They were still on it when we traded in '08.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan (FOR SALE)
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
Last Edit: by Danny and Linda.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu