Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Bubbles in top warranty response

Bubbles in top warranty response 2 months 2 days ago #1

For those who have followed or posted comments on issue of bubbles in the top of our unit.

We have received confirmation that the warranty department APPROVED replacement of the top under our warranty. My process was calling my dealer....explaining the issue....sending photos to service rep, and service manager. Notification of approval within 24 hours. I do know my salesperson contacted the Sales Manager for our area and explained the issue to him as well. Don't know if he got involved or not.

This sure lessens the stomach acid flow after all the negative past experiences for some of you. This is a Big Repair in my opinion, and look forward to getting it repaired and put behind us.

I hope this helps folks have confidence in Crossroads Redwood and if someone has a issue in the future ounder warranty this might help them as well

Thanks for everyone caring so much to give advice on how to proceed. This is a great group of owners with years of experience that helps all us new owners.

Looking forward to meeting as many as we can at our first Rally.

Allen and Kim Wehr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oriana, redwood5er, subdoc4, Shane Wood, grizzby, KennyWhite1531

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 2 months 2 days ago #2

Who's going to replace it? I can't see a dealer doing this. Do you have to take it back to the factory?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Danny & Terri
2017 31SL
Silverado 3500 CC SRW 4x4 LWB Duramax
Last Edit: by shrode.

Bubbles in top warranty response 2 months 2 days ago #3

The dealership is planning on doing the replacement.
I have asked Redwood Sales Manager if they can get the job done properly.
More to come.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 2 months 1 day ago #4

Congratulations on your warranty repair. Remember that you only have a few months left until you expire. Find an extended warranty plan if you are not handy with repairs.

A word of advice...

After you get the roofing materials off, take pictures. When it goes back together, ensure the surface is absolutely clean. Take pictures. When the re-glue, watch out for the tack time. Visually inspect the product they intend to use and make sure the shelf life is not expired. WATCH them put the new roof down and see to it that they roll it down (or similar).

Watch and see to it that the aluminum edging is properly tacked down. Those little staples that they use are not worth two cents. They come back out and that new roof will have nice pin holes in it. Have them use screws that have the larger flat heads. They bite in better and the heads won't puncture the roofing materials.

Then, watch while they re-install the AC units. Make sure they fix the foam separator back into place and make sure they use the Eterbond tape under the nylon stand-offs and lap seal around them to prevent future leaks.

Make sure they put lap sealant around all roof penetrations like skylights and plumbing vents. You might even consider adding a couple of extra attic vents to release heat if you stay south in the summer.

The dealership will likely tell you that they can't allow you in the Service Bay due "Insurance" reasons. Malarky....That is your rig. If they have to stop work and clean up and/or escort you, fine. But you are going to take pictures and inspect the work or you will take your business elsewhere. Its never too late for that.

I'm glad for you that you have been able to resolve your issue. But remember that at the stroke of midnight on your expiration date, the honeymoon is over.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 2 months 1 day ago #5

Thank you for great advice. Will follow up as best they will let me. We are 45 minutes from the dealer location, but I plan on printing this list and covering with the service manager.
I have been in their shop when different units have had sides replaced etc, I feel they do have a quality facility. This company has 3 large locations 2 in Ohio and 1 here in Indiana.

Thanks again for your advice.
Allen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 2 months 1 day ago #6

  • Char+Steve
  • Char+Steve's Avatar
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Posts: 243
  • Thank You(s): 38
  • Karma: 7

  • “Char+Steve’s
  • Redwood/2014/36FL

GipCTravelers wrote: Congratulations on your warranty repair. Remember that you only have a few months left until you expire. Find an extended warranty plan if you are not handy with repairs.

A word of advice...

After you get the roofing materials off, take pictures. When it goes back together, ensure the surface is absolutely clean. Take pictures. When the re-glue, watch out for the tack time. Visually inspect the product they intend to use and make sure the shelf life is not expired. WATCH them put the new roof down and see to it that they roll it down (or similar).

Watch and see to it that the aluminum edging is properly tacked down. Those little staples that they use are not worth two cents. They come back out and that new roof will have nice pin holes in it. Have them use screws that have the larger flat heads. They bite in better and the heads won't puncture the roofing materials.

Then, watch while they re-install the AC units. Make sure they fix the foam separator back into place and make sure they use the Eterbond tape under the nylon stand-offs and lap seal around them to prevent future leaks.

Make sure they put lap sealant around all roof penetrations like skylights and plumbing vents. You might even consider adding a couple of extra attic vents to release heat if you stay south in the summer.

The dealership will likely tell you that they can't allow you in the Service Bay due "Insurance" reasons. Malarky....That is your rig. If they have to stop work and clean up and/or escort you, fine. But you are going to take pictures and inspect the work or you will take your business elsewhere. Its never too late for that.

I'm glad for you that you have been able to resolve your issue. But remember that at the stroke of midnight on your expiration date, the honeymoon is over.


Some good words of advice here BUT.... being a contractor myself if I had someone watching me through the complete process instead of just checking in time to time I would take a break and not come back until I wasn't being watched. YES, I actually have done this a few times over the years. Mistakes are easily made wile someone is looking over your shoulder. If you can't put a little trust into the dealership of choice it would be wise to take elsewhere.
Just my 2 cents.

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 2 months 1 day ago #7

Char+Steve wrote:

GipCTravelers wrote: Congratulations on your warranty repair. Remember that you only have a few months left until you expire. Find an extended warranty plan if you are not handy with repairs.

A word of advice...

After you get the roofing materials off, take pictures. When it goes back together, ensure the surface is absolutely clean. Take pictures. When the re-glue, watch out for the tack time. Visually inspect the product they intend to use and make sure the shelf life is not expired. WATCH them put the new roof down and see to it that they roll it down (or similar).

Watch and see to it that the aluminum edging is properly tacked down. Those little staples that they use are not worth two cents. They come back out and that new roof will have nice pin holes in it. Have them use screws that have the larger flat heads. They bite in better and the heads won't puncture the roofing materials.

Then, watch while they re-install the AC units. Make sure they fix the foam separator back into place and make sure they use the Eterbond tape under the nylon stand-offs and lap seal around them to prevent future leaks.

Make sure they put lap sealant around all roof penetrations like skylights and plumbing vents. You might even consider adding a couple of extra attic vents to release heat if you stay south in the summer.

The dealership will likely tell you that they can't allow you in the Service Bay due "Insurance" reasons. Malarky....That is your rig. If they have to stop work and clean up and/or escort you, fine. But you are going to take pictures and inspect the work or you will take your business elsewhere. Its never too late for that.

I'm glad for you that you have been able to resolve your issue. But remember that at the stroke of midnight on your expiration date, the honeymoon is over.


Some good words of advice here BUT.... being a contractor myself if I had someone watching me through the complete process instead of just checking in time to time I would take a break and not come back until I wasn't being watched. YES, I actually have done this a few times over the years. Mistakes are easily made wile someone is looking over your shoulder. If you can't put a little trust into the dealership of choice it would be wise to take elsewhere.
Just my 2 cents.

Steve


WADR,

I'm sure that if it is explained, the dealership will fully cooperate. If they did not, then I would question the integrity of the dealership.

As an employee (years ago) I've been in the position of having a customer over my shoulder as well. But when I understood the circumstance, I bent over backwards to provide excellent customer service and basically explain step by step what process was in play.. But in any case, it is not the decision of the employee. It is up to management to decide policy and if a customer makes the demand to management, the employee is no position to make the call to refuse. And if the employee does make a mistake, who better to catch that and work with him or management to correct the problem before it gets too far? You know the problem. Why have to go back and fight this all over again?

Respectfully...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 2 months 14 hours ago #8

I used to have a sign at my workbench when I was turning a wrench back in the 70s:

Labor Rate = $20 hr
Labor Rate installing your parts = $40 hr
Labor Rate when you watch = $100 hr

or something like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 4 weeks ago #9

Same as Steve ~ 30 years of lettering Fire Trucks and customer trucks. You're welcome to stop in, but if you stand behind and watch, I've walked away more than once and told them to get someone else .............

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 4 weeks ago #10

Well, since my bubbles were there on 1 day that It was very hot, the dealer did not see any and could not help much.. I have gone up there over the last week several times ( 92+ out ) and not 1 bubble . . ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 4 weeks ago #11

"IF" they let you go into their shop to observe I'd bet money there's NO WAY they'd let you on the roof in their shop, their insurance guy would have heart attack.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 4 weeks ago #12

Danny, when I had a few staples pop up on the side, i had the trailer at my local selling dealer. They had me up on the roof looking at other sealant that I asked them to look at. I guess it all depends on the dealer, I was surprised that I was allowed to go there while it was in their shop..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 4 weeks ago #13

I am so happy to hear that Redwood is taking care of your roof. That is great news. Keep us all posted.

As far as watching them do the work... as a customer we all want to see the work being done. But is that really the best thing for you? Shops have liability because there are so many people that are standing at the ready to sue. The insurance generally drives the regulations in any industry.

The other thing I would mention... we all are familiar with our Redwoods. Some understand more than others. But I am guessing that very few have been trained on RV roofing. They may let you go in and watch, they might let you go in periodically or they might be willing to take pictures for you.

When we install the RV-Armor roof, we do them where the RV is located, and because of liability and danger, the customer cannot be on the roof when we are up there. If an owner got on their ladder when we were up there, or leaned a ladder on the side while we were working; we absolutely would stop work. It is dangerous to them and to us. We can't be distracted while we are up on a roof 13' off the ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buan-Lester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

George & Lisa

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 4 weeks ago #14

Interesting tidbit,
A couple on another forum are having a new Tiffen Allegro Bus built at the Factory and they are camped in the parking lot with their Phaeton and visit the whole process daily. He has about 1,000 pictures and they welcome him, and occasionally have done a little custom work at his request. I think that is the exception over the rule anyway, but it would be fun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 4 weeks ago #15

atom ant wrote: Interesting tidbit,
A couple on another forum are having a new Tiffen Allegro Bus built at the Factory and they are camped in the parking lot with their Phaeton and visit the whole process daily. He has about 1,000 pictures and they welcome him, and occasionally have done a little custom work at his request. I think that is the exception over the rule anyway, but it would be fun.


What a great opportunity! For those of us who are interested in the building process, locations for wiring, plumbing, heating/cooling ducting, etc...would not be a mystery! Would love to have had that insight in the building of our RW!

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 4 weeks ago #16

I agree Bob, we went thru the manufacture facility to see them built. It was worth our time. We had already purchased prior to the tour but supported our buying decision. Looking forward to our first Redwood Rally. Hope to see you there.
Allen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 2 weeks ago #17

Now that the temperture in Austin is over 100 my 2016 Redwood is showing bubbles in roof.Do I have a defective roof?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 2 weeks ago #18

  • Char+Steve
  • Char+Steve's Avatar
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Posts: 243
  • Thank You(s): 38
  • Karma: 7

  • “Char+Steve’s
  • Redwood/2014/36FL
I won't comment on if your roof is defective or not but this type of roof IF installed correctly should have NO bubbles even at the slightly higher temperatures.
RW can say what they want but if installed with the correct adhesives and quality bubbles will never happen.

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Char+Steve.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 2 weeks ago #19

I had mine washed and waxed yesterday. The guy said I had bubbles. I've made my appointment when we return. It has been very Hot in Austin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 2 weeks ago #20

What happens to my roof in the future?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 1 week ago #21

Are you takiing your rv to Explore RV? Would mind keeping me informend if they feel you have a problem with your roof.Sounds like we have the same problem with our Redwoods.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 1 week ago #22

I'd be happy to keep you posted. I'd be happy to drive out of state to have it fixed. I hate to complain, but I had 28 items to be fixed. I was told they were done, come and get it. Needless to say, not half were completed. We have not had success with Explore. I think I'd like to have a conversation with the service department, Keystone and me all on the phone at same time. We are hoping for the best. We have an appointment on August 2nd. Are you coming to the Rally? If so, we can visit there.
Karen and Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 1 week ago #23

I think anyone that's purchesed a RV from Explore has a story to tell.
Yes we are atteneding the Rally looking forward to meeting y'all.
Dave and Renee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bubbles in top warranty response 1 month 1 week ago #24

Truer words have never been said. We can't wait to meet y'all!
Karen and Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 0.726 seconds

 


Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

 

 

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!