Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Satellite Dish Installation

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #1

• Bob Harris
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 0

• Redwood/2015/38RL
Has anyone installed a Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000 on the roof of a 38RL.
I have looked at the Antenna / Cable Wiring Drawing included in the RedWood RV Drawings; it's great that many drawings are available, thanks. I would like to clarify the use of the two satellite prep connections on the roof. Am I right in assuming that you use the line with no splitters as the power supply to the dish and the second connection that runs with splitters as the output from the dish to the receivers? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #2

Hi Bob,
I have a 2018 39MB so I don't know if it is exactly the same, but I have a sat controller cable with power that is prewired on the roof and two coax cables. Neither goes to a splitter. The travler takes its power from that control/power cable with the modular type end. I do know that you should never have coax from the sat to the receivers (bedroom and living) split. They will actually fail if they work at all. Thats SK1000 dish is awesome and works for both Bell and Dishnet. Simple to setup and config for either.

Cheers
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1003@Kings

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #3

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 127
Our 36RL came with 4 coax connections on the roof and the controller cable as well. I traced the coax runs, 2 went to the bedroom and the other 2 went to the entertainment center in the living room, all 4 were direct. Our unit was probably spec'd for the 4 coax runs as Shaw requires 2 coax lines for each PVR unit.

The controller cable went to the bedroom cupboard, that's where the Winegard box is installed. I have a Shaw PVR in the bedroom and in the entertainment center.

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #4

Wow, I wasn't aware Redwood was putting 4 coax on the roof. Our 2014 only had 2 (one to LR, one to BR). Anyway, the control cable should be taped to one of the coax down under the roof cover. The control cable is plug and play with Winegard.

Attachments:

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #5

Your install looks identical to mine. Not much changed in 4 years!

Al, Paul from Hitch n Go and I looked into the extra cables for multi tuner installation. when we spoke to the factory they didn't offer that as an option any more. Turns out that Bell and Dish don't require the extra cable they use something called a dish plus separator.

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #6

• Bob Harris
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2015/38RL
Thank you for the detailed information that you provided. I am assuming from the pictures that you had to remove both of the connections on the roof to access the control cable that you found taped to one cable. I have found a 6 pin square plug on the end of a cable in our bedroom cabinet (where our antenna booster is), does that sound like the other end of the control cable?

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #7

Yes it is

Woody

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #8

• Bob Harris
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2015/38RL
The Wineguard installation instructions suggest that you contact the trailer manufacturer to see if there is a reinforced section of the roof for the installation of the satellite dish; has anyone done this?
I walked around the roof in my bare feet and the only section of roofing that did not flex (other than around the air conditioner units) was along the center line of the roof, just ahead of the rear air conditioner and behind the LR ceiling vent. This area appears to be large enough for the dish.

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #9

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE

1003@Kings wrote: The Wineguard installation instructions suggest that you contact the trailer manufacturer to see if there is a reinforced section of the roof for the installation of the satellite dish; has anyone done this?
I walked around the roof in my bare feet and the only section of roofing that did not flex (other than around the air conditioner units) was along the center line of the roof, just ahead of the rear air conditioner and behind the LR ceiling vent. This area appears to be large enough for the dish.

That's the location where our dealer installed our dish

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #10

Ours is located close to center rear of the back ac

Woody

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #11

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE

boatguy wrote: Your install looks identical to mine. Not much changed in 4 years!

Al, Paul from Hitch n Go and I looked into the extra cables for multi tuner installation. when we spoke to the factory they didn't offer that as an option any more. Turns out that Bell and Dish don't require the extra cable they use something called a dish plus separator.

For the Shaw folks in the crowd who need 2 sat inputs, you could do a "double reverse", with a short coax piece you could direct the signal from the bedroom down to the dock, reversing the sat line signal from there, then with another short coax piece direct that signal to the entertainment area to get a second input to the Shaw receiver, Paul probably has done this for his Shaw customers. As the saying goes "your experience (meaning the wiring) may vary". You could only hook up one PVR this way.

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 4 weeks ago #12

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 50

• Redwood/2016/39MB
Wineguard sells a "Heavy Duty Mounting Plate" that can be put down on the roof, then the Dish mounted to it. Helps spread the load of the dish to a larger area of the roof.
Ours is mounted between the two AC units, was the same on our '12 36RL also.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 3 weeks ago #13

• GTXRAS
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 6

• “GTXRAS’s
  • Redwood/2015/RW39MB

mhs4771 wrote: Wineguard sells a "Heavy Duty Mounting Plate" that can be put down on the roof, then the Dish mounted to it. Helps spread the load of the dish to a larger area of the roof.
Ours is mounted between the two AC units, was the same on our '12 36RL also.

I used the mounting plate when I installed the dish a few months ago. Didn't want to take a chance on having an issue with the roof. Also installed it between the AC's on or 39MB.

Rick

2015 Ram 3500 SLT Mega Cab DRW, SS Nerf Bars, Andersen Ultimate Hitch, ATTA Freedom Fill System
Living Full Time in a 2015 39MB Tan & Burgundy Urban Clay/Caramel, Wineguard Dish, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top, myRV Linc Remote, MorRyde SRE 4000, Titan Disk Brakes

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 3 weeks ago #14

I debated the mounting plate, and decided to go without it. I didn't use it on my MH either with the fiberglass roof. I did notice when installing on the Redwood, there is a slight arch to the roof and the antenna base wants to flatten that when you screw it down. At first I was nervous about walking around the antenna for fear of pulling down on the roof and ripping out screws, but my fear subsided as I never had any issues.

I mounted ours in the rear by the roof connections. hahaha, this picture I found is from the RV show in Denver when I crawled up on the roof and measured before the Dealer chased me off of there. Ours was on order and I wanted to plan it out.

Regardless, that thing held up on my Redwood even after the guy next to me lost his slide toppers to a Navajo Reservoir wind! :)
Attachments:

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 3 weeks ago #15

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/39MB
A word of caution if you don't use the mounting plate. You will still need to purchase or make a plate for the roller to rest on when the dish is stowed (read the install instruction from Wineguard) as that roller will rest on the roof material and going down the road there is some movement, which could eventually wear a hole in the roof material.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, 5.5 Onan, Mor/ryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride Hitch, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Satellite Dish Installation 6 months 3 weeks ago #16

mhs4771 wrote: A word of caution if you don't use the mounting plate. You will still need to purchase or make a plate for the roller to rest on when the dish is stowed (read the install instruction from Wineguard) as that roller will rest on the roof material and going down the road there is some movement, which could eventually wear a hole in the roof material.

Yes, good point. I added the winegard plate SKA-004 (pictured here before lap sealant)

Attachments:

Satellite Dish Installation 1 week 4 days ago #17

We're looking at purchasing the Winegard Traveler Direct TV Slimline to install on our 2017 Redwood 3901MB. I'm getting quotes from two different RV installers and they are quoting $1000 to install, saying it will take from 8-10 hours. Our unit is satellite ready, so I can't understand how difficult it would be to install. We're pretty handy...is it possible to do it ourselves?

Satellite Dish Installation 1 week 4 days ago #18

• almcc
  • NOW OFFLINE

vferris wrote: We're looking at purchasing the Winegard Traveler Direct TV Slimline to install on our 2017 Redwood 3901MB. I'm getting quotes from two different RV installers and they are quoting $1000 to install, saying it will take from 8-10 hours. Our unit is satellite ready, so I can't understand how difficult it would be to install. We're pretty handy...is it possible to do it ourselves?

It's been a while (5 years) since we had our Winegard dish installed and from memory the dish cost about $2,300 CDN, the cost of installation didn't give me sticker shock. Everything is ready from Redwood(coax, Winegard wire)the work is to mount the dish on the roof, I think that the install estimate is excessive.

Satellite Dish Installation 1 week 4 days ago #19

• Oriana
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank You(s): 320

• Oriana
  • “Oriana’s
  • Redwood/2013/36 FL
Similar to Al, we installed a roof dish about 5 yrs ago and believe the cost was similar. Rather than work with the RW cables, our dealer ran 2 new cables to each receiver. Can't remember what the labour costs were.

Recall Brad installed his own system, so hopefully he can provide an insight.

Andy & Judi, Canines - Kona & Bella
Maple Ridge, BC
2013 RW 36FL
2016 F350 DRW
Cruise & RV Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
President - ROG

Satellite Dish Installation 1 week 4 days ago #20

Wife and I installed a Traveler for Dish Network on our 2017 39 MB back in December. There are lots of great information here on the forum which answered most of our questions and convinced us it was doable. RW does make it easier by putting the cables up on the roof. I would suggest getting the mounting plate for added strength and stability. It’s worked flawlessly since install.

Satellite Dish Installation 1 week 4 days ago #21

Thanks for the responses! I did contact Elkhart Satellite and they quoted the price of $2499 installed plus the receiver. Sounds like they install these all the time. Our local RV dealers in Iowa were charging for 8-10 hours of labor and didn't give us confidence that they did these very often. Now to decide whether to tackle this on our own or just schedule it when we're at the rally. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Satellite Dish Installation 1 week 4 days ago #22

This may help. Dyers Online sells the dish for 1488 + 122 for the mounting plate. That’s $1610. For $890 they will be taking the cables that are already on your roof and attaching them to your dish, mounting the dish and mounting plate, weather sealing it and connecting the indoor controller to a cable that should be next to you bedroom Tv. Whatever makes you most comfortable is the right decision. On a scale of difficulty this job is about a 4. That being said I had my dealer do it because I can’t bring myself to screw or drill into my roof. 1 hour labour and watching tv ever since.

Hope this helps.

John

Satellite Dish Installation 1 week 4 days ago #23

Very helpful! Thanks

Satellite Dish Installation 1 week 4 days ago #24

• mhs4771
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2016/39MB
About the hardest part is getting the Dish up on the roof, next is sorting out which cables go where. My Sat Splitter is mounted in the Bedroom cabinet with the Dish Controller. From there I have a cable to the Living Room TV and the Outside TV, just took ringing them out to know which was which.

Michelle & Ann

Satellite Dish Installation 1 week 3 days ago #25

I believe the quotes are getting assume your pre-install is no good, and some times it is not. It took me about 4 hrs being careful the first time, and after installing it the third time I'm down to about 3 hours and 59 minutes :)

As stated, the hardest part was getting it on the roof. I hoisted it up with rope using the back ladder as a guide track. This last time I just used a gorilla ladder and climbed up with it and set it on the roof.

Our Redwood pre-wire worked perfectly, so it was a matter of locating it, checking for clearance, drawing it on the roof with a marker, running a bead of sealant and screwing it down, followed up with self leveling lap sealant. We just replaced the "dome" on our MH with the Travler, and it went just as well, even though I had to pull a control cable.

The first time, I used this video as my original guide - and watched it over and over until I gained enough confidence.

travelr install video
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 3.314 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!

Main Menu