Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Internet and Antenna TV

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 5 days ago #1

We had to get internet through a local company and when the installer came to connect everything, he said he couldn't connect the modem & router up behind the TV in the living room because the signal wasn't good enough...according to his line tester. So he installed everything in bedroom cabinet but now if we want to watch antenna TV we have to turn the booster on which kills the internet. Has anyone else had this problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 5 days ago #2

You're gonna have this problem....

Redwood (in their infinite wisdom to save a few $$) decided to install a barrage of splitters throughout the RV.

Each splitter degrades the signal. Then, to make matters worse, they hid them from you and me behind light fixtures, the hall roof exhaust fan and then behind the living room TV wall.

To eliminate the line losses, you would need to drop the belly coreplast and run a dedicated line. This would have been so easy to do at the time of construction. They could have installed a manifold in the basement so that you could mix and match any way you wanted to configure it. Instead, it's just a nightmare for you and I to figure out. If you have a meter, you could check continuity and resistance.

Check the different blogs on here. We've got diagrams showing the splitters and routing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlaskaBuckeye

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by GipCTravelers.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 4 days ago #3

Thanks so much for the information. I truly appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 4 days ago #4

Redwood only used splitters on the OTA/cable TV cables, which is very normal, and actually the only way you can do it to have one antenna serve multiple TVs.

Your internet provider needs a dedicated run to the modem, and shame on him for trying to tag off of the factory OTA/Cable TV runs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 4 days ago #5

atom ant wrote: Redwood only used splitters on the OTA/cable TV cables, which is very normal, and actually the only way you can do it to have one antenna serve multiple TVs.

Your internet provider needs a dedicated run to the modem, and shame on him for trying to tag off of the factory OTA/Cable TV runs.


You should come inspect our RV...I'll show you where they are. I'm sure it's up to the installer but we have them in ALL lines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 4 days ago #6

  • brenkco
  • brenkco's Avatar
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Posts: 105
  • Thank You(s): 33
  • Karma: 1
My 2014 38GK has several direct runs with no splitters. One that I typically use for the internet is a direct run to the bedroom from the convenience center. I have another direct run to the entertainment center, one that originates from the convience center, the other from the roof. There is also a direct run from the roof to the bedroom. Lastly, there is a direct run from the entertainment center to the outside tv.

None of these runs (mostly orange coax) are not on the runs with the antenna or park cable, just as Atom Ant describes.

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by brenkco.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 4 days ago #7

  • almcc
  • almcc's Avatar
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Posts: 475
  • Thank You(s): 114
  • Karma: 5
Not sure what internet equipment you are installing but in the RV park here the installer gets around all the problems by simply installing the modem and a wireless router in the basement of the RV's, our neighbour with a Redwood did this, plugged in the equipment to the 110V in the area around the dump valves and the coax was run up through the hose entry. Wireless signals reached through the entire unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 3 days ago #8

Somebody isn’t telling you something. I spent days tracing all the cables with ping tools and wire tracers. Cable/antenna lines are split. However, the following are straight runs.

Sat roof rough in. Two lines. One to the bedroom and one to the living room. Sat input 1 and 2 in the wet bay. One runs to the living room and one runs the bedroom. It’s what I would use for a cable modem. There is also the OTA/cable line that is split from booster to bedroom, living room, basement, wet bay cable inlet. There is also a tracer line that runs from living room to bedroom to basement and it’s split several times. Redwood refers to this a the satellite jumper line because it is used to handle a multi room sat scenario from a single receiver. In my case I used it to serve HDMI over coax. It’s allows me HD from my blueray, sat, and PS4 on any other tv buy converting it to coax them back to hdmi at the other end. But that’s a different story.

Respectfully, there is no splitter on the sat in line on the roof or the ones from the wet bay. Quite simply splitting those line will not work. Redwood knows this. That’s why there are so many cables. Also for the record the other reason they are not split is because they carry current for the LNB. There are very few things I understand completely, but cable, sat, internet and networks is one of them.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bdarnell, DPD1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by boatguy.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 3 days ago #9

I'll let the pictures do the talking....

File Attachment:

File Name: 38GKAntennaWireRouting2014_2017-12-05.pdf
File Size: 700 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ford truck guy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 3 days ago #10

So I will try this again. Splitting a Sat In signal will not work. Redwood knows this. I'm not sure who's pictures those are, but here is the drawing from Redwood. This is exactly how my 2018 39MB is wired.
Each Sat run from the wet bay goes non stop no splitter to behind the TV in the living room and the bedroom respectively.
Each Sat runs from the roof go non stop no splitter direct to behind the TV in the living room and bedroom respectively.
The OTA antenna goes to a booster which takes input from the cable tv line direct no splitters from the wet bay. That same booster acts as a splitter and sends one signal to the bedroom tv and another to behind the speaker (not the lights in 2017 and higher) over the left side of the bed. There it is run through the first actual splitter and sends the cable or ota signal (depending on whether the booster is on) to both the living room tv and the outlet in the basement.
Lastly there is a line that runs from behind the living room tv to bedroom behind the the speaker (not the lights in 2017 and higher) which connects to the second actual splitter. That splitter then feed the second outlet in the basement, and behind the bedroom tv. That is what Rewood refers to as the Sat Jump line in their drawing. I call it a tracer line and is very useful for sending signals from the living room to any other tv if you use a PS4, Blueray, surveillance cams, or anything else.

The cables are not labeled. Slightly cooler coded but I couldn't figure it out. So I made my own labels. This is from my tracing of the lines. Not something I pulled from the internet. Like I said, I can comfortably say I understand exactly how my trailer is wired now because I traced each and every wire. I even found out where they hide the 2 splitters since after 2016 they went to much smaller holes for access because of the halogen lights.

After doing this I found the Redwood drawing that confirmed what I now already knew.
www.redwoodrvowners.com/index.php?option...ry&id=130&Itemid=468
The following user(s) said Thank You: PricelessRVAdventures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by boatguy.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 3 days ago #11

Could you tell me where you got the diagrams. My 2018 3401RL has no markings in the basement nor anywhere else.....Never mind, I'll use yours, should be the same for my model

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by DPD1.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 3 days ago #12

boatguy wrote: So I will try this again. Splitting a Sat In signal will not work. Redwood knows this. I'm not sure who's pictures those are, but here is the drawing from Redwood. This is exactly how my 2018 39MB is wired.
Each Sat run from the wet bay goes non stop no splitter to behind the TV in the living room and the bedroom respectively.
Each Sat runs from the roof go non stop no splitter direct to behind the TV in the living room and bedroom respectively.
The OTA antenna goes to a booster which takes input from the cable tv line direct no splitters from the wet bay. That same booster acts as a splitter and sends one signal to the bedroom tv and another to behind the speaker (not the lights in 2017 and higher) over the left side of the bed. There it is run through the first actual splitter and sends the cable or ota signal (depending on whether the booster is on) to both the living room tv and the outlet in the basement.
Lastly there is a line that runs from behind the living room tv to bedroom behind the the speaker (not the lights in 2017 and higher) which connects to the second actual splitter. That splitter then feed the second outlet in the basement, and behind the bedroom tv. That is what Rewood refers to as the Sat Jump line in their drawing. I call it a tracer line and is very useful for sending signals from the living room to any other tv if you use a PS4, Blueray, surveillance cams, or anything else.

The cables are not labeled. Slightly cooler coded but I couldn't figure it out. So I made my own labels. This is from my tracing of the lines. Not something I pulled from the internet. Like I said, I can comfortably say I understand exactly how my trailer is wired now because I traced each and every wire. I even found out where they hide the 2 splitters since after 2016 they went to much smaller holes for access because of the halogen lights.

After doing this I found the Redwood drawing that confirmed what I now already knew.
www.redwoodrvowners.com/index.php?option...ry&id=130&Itemid=468


I traced each and every wire out, took pictures, and made the diagram for future use. For the 38Gk, this is accurate.

I have had quality issues since day one. Most have been corrected.

Consider yourself lucky that you had a good tech working on your unit that day...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 3 days ago #13

GipCTravelers wrote: I'll let the pictures do the talking....

File Attachment:

File Name: 38GKAntennaWireRouting2014_2017-12-05.pdf
File Size: 700 KB



Gip, that is bizarre !! I was always under the impression that you could NOT use splitters on satellite lines . .

When I traced my orange wires to install my Pathway X2, I had DIRECT RUNS from the conv. center AND the roof direct to the TV areas of orange satellite cables with NO splitters..

CAN YOU SAY . . . GREMLINS ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 3 days ago #14

Our 36RL was wired exactly like the Redwood Drawing John presented. I have no idea what that drawing is for GipC's. Didn't you buy yours used GipC?

There is nothing unusual in your pictures, but I don't think your drawing is accurate. For instance, the roof satellite prep cables make no sense here - one going to bedroom TV, and one going to the dish? Redwood never installed Dish, only the prep, so that had to be a later mod.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 3 days ago #15

atom ant wrote: Our 36RL was wired exactly like the Redwood Drawing John presented. I have no idea what that drawing is for GipC's. Didn't you buy yours used GipC?

There is nothing unusual in your pictures, but I don't think your drawing is accurate. For instance, the roof satellite prep cables make no sense here - one going to bedroom TV, and one going to the dish? Redwood never installed Dish, only the prep, so that had to be a later mod.


It was 3 months old when we purchased. 1st owner was 80 years old and thought he would try a 5th wheel versus Class A. He went back to a Class A. I do not believe he did any changes on anything.

The wiring diagram is exactly what's there. Each wire was pain stakingly traced out and verified. Since we ONLY use OTA antenna, I have not spent any additional time sorting out the problems. Depending on weather, I may be dropping the belly pan to install insulation and re-routing the entertainment wiring and heat ducts soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 3 days ago #16

GipCTravelers wrote:

atom ant wrote: Our 36RL was wired exactly like the Redwood Drawing John presented. I have no idea what that drawing is for GipC's. Didn't you buy yours used GipC?

There is nothing unusual in your pictures, but I don't think your drawing is accurate. For instance, the roof satellite prep cables make no sense here - one going to bedroom TV, and one going to the dish? Redwood never installed Dish, only the prep, so that had to be a later mod.


It was 3 months old when we purchased. 1st owner was 80 years old and thought he would try a 5th wheel versus Class A. He went back to a Class A. I do not believe he did any changes on anything.

The wiring diagram is exactly what's there. Each wire was pain stakingly traced out and verified. Since we ONLY use OTA antenna, I have not spent any additional time sorting out the problems. Depending on weather, I may be dropping the belly pan to install insulation and re-routing the entertainment wiring and heat ducts soon.

Did you install the roof dish? I ask, because the 2nd cable from the roof prep would normally go to the living room TV, but you show it going to the Dish itself, which wouldn't actually be there on a new Redwood because they don't install them. The two cables from the roof go to the living room and bedroom with factory prep, so if your living room one is missing as shown on the drawing, something was altered. Just saying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 2 days ago #17

atom ant wrote:

GipCTravelers wrote:

atom ant wrote: Our 36RL was wired exactly like the Redwood Drawing John presented. I have no idea what that drawing is for GipC's. Didn't you buy yours used GipC?

There is nothing unusual in your pictures, but I don't think your drawing is accurate. For instance, the roof satellite prep cables make no sense here - one going to bedroom TV, and one going to the dish? Redwood never installed Dish, only the prep, so that had to be a later mod.


It was 3 months old when we purchased. 1st owner was 80 years old and thought he would try a 5th wheel versus Class A. He went back to a Class A. I do not believe he did any changes on anything.

The wiring diagram is exactly what's there. Each wire was pain stakingly traced out and verified. Since we ONLY use OTA antenna, I have not spent any additional time sorting out the problems. Depending on weather, I may be dropping the belly pan to install insulation and re-routing the entertainment wiring and heat ducts soon.

Did you install the roof dish? I ask, because the 2nd cable from the roof prep would normally go to the living room TV, but you show it going to the Dish itself, which wouldn't actually be there on a new Redwood because they don't install them. The two cables from the roof go to the living room and bedroom with factory prep, so if your living room one is missing as shown on the drawing, something was altered. Just saying.


I did not have the satellite installed. It was already there. A nice $1800 bonus if you ask me. It just needs to be wired correctly and at present, it is not. Since we don't watch satellite, it's not an issue to work on right now. I have higher priorities with other work that has to be done on the RV. I'll deal with that issue a little later.

The only reason I got that far is because the regular TV didn't work either...It does now...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by GipCTravelers.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 2 days ago #18

GipCTravelers wrote:

atom ant wrote:

GipCTravelers wrote:

atom ant wrote: Our 36RL was wired exactly like the Redwood Drawing John presented. I have no idea what that drawing is for GipC's. Didn't you buy yours used GipC?

There is nothing unusual in your pictures, but I don't think your drawing is accurate. For instance, the roof satellite prep cables make no sense here - one going to bedroom TV, and one going to the dish? Redwood never installed Dish, only the prep, so that had to be a later mod.


It was 3 months old when we purchased. 1st owner was 80 years old and thought he would try a 5th wheel versus Class A. He went back to a Class A. I do not believe he did any changes on anything.

The wiring diagram is exactly what's there. Each wire was pain stakingly traced out and verified. Since we ONLY use OTA antenna, I have not spent any additional time sorting out the problems. Depending on weather, I may be dropping the belly pan to install insulation and re-routing the entertainment wiring and heat ducts soon.

Did you install the roof dish? I ask, because the 2nd cable from the roof prep would normally go to the living room TV, but you show it going to the Dish itself, which wouldn't actually be there on a new Redwood because they don't install them. The two cables from the roof go to the living room and bedroom with factory prep, so if your living room one is missing as shown on the drawing, something was altered. Just saying.


I did not have the satellite installed. It was already there. A nice $1800 bonus if you ask me. It just needs to be wired correctly and at present, it is not. Since we don't watch satellite, it's not an issue to work on right now. I have higher priorities with other work that has to be done on the RV. I'll deal with that issue a little later.

The only reason I got that far is because the regular TV didn't work either...It does now...

GipC, that makes sense now. Either the Dealer or the satellite company, installed the Dish and as many do, kind of butchered up the factory wiring as they didn't understand how it was wired. Normally the factory Redwood stuff - although not perfect, accommodates a rooftop dish without disruption to the rest of the wiring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 2 days ago #19

  • brenkco
  • brenkco's Avatar
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Posts: 105
  • Thank You(s): 33
  • Karma: 1
Brad,

You’re being very kind, butchered is an understatement! It sure is clear what they did.

Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 2 days ago #20

Ken ~ GipC's drawing makes a whole lot more sense now. Other people have had their fingers in the pie. I know from tracing cables in ours with my son checking connections it is wired as Brad described,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.

Internet and Antenna TV 1 week 2 days ago #21

I ASSUME that those 80 year old folks had someone add the satellite dish.. And do some other stuff while they were at it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 5.832 seconds

 


Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

 

 

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!