• Page:

TOPIC: Ordering New Tow Vehicle

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #1

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 53

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL
I am going to replace my 2012 GMC SLT 3500HD Duramax with a 2018 RAM 3500 HD Lariat Cummings.
I am a die hard GM fan and never thought I would purchase a Chrysler product but after doing my research, the RAM has a lot to offer in the way of features for a great tow vehicle. After talking to a several friends that have switched from a GM product to the RAM in recent years for a tow vehicle they have nothing but great things to say about their RAM trucks so I am going to make the switch to RAM.
We are finalizing the specs and pricing and should be placing the factory order this week. Build time is about 8 to 10 weeks so it should arrive around the end of October or early November.
Going with the 3500 Air Ride Suspension on the Rear and the 4.10 axle ration with the Cummings HO engine with 385 HP at 930 Ft Lbs. of torque.
Getting a Crew Cab with two tone paint, Pearl White with RV Brown lower color and the Tan / Brown interior.
Nothing wrong with our current GMC 3500, it has been a great truck but as I am getting a few years to retirement I do not want start retirement with a 10 year old truck with 150,000 + miles so I am going to make the leap now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Robert & Bale (The Wonder Dog)
2014 Redwood 38FL
MoRyde 8K IS, Disc Brakes, MoRyde Pin Box
17.5 Goodyear G114s, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW
Last Edit: by Rob_Fla.

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #2

Congrats on your new truck

Woody

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #3

If I were in need of a new truck I would definitely look real hard at the Ram, they have came a long way in the last few years. We had a couple at work years ago (gas models) & the drive train on those things was bullet proof, the rest of them was total cap, windows wouldn't stay up or the gauge cluster every time shut the doors.
Good luck & enjoy!

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #4

Ram makes a beautiful truck! Always liked the looks of them, although both Chev and Ford have some nice lines now too. That air ride seems like a great feature!

I'll be looking at your tailights with all that mite in that new Cummins! Thats almost as much hp and torque as my 8.9 ISL Cummins and I'm pulling 44k lbs with it. You'll have to reinforce that pin box again!

2014 36RL (Sold) - Brad, Dory & Sarah
Last Edit: by atom ant.

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #5

• GTXRAS
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 3

• “GTXRAS’s
  • Redwood/2015/RW39MB
Congrats

2015 Ram 3500 SLT Mega Cab DRW, SS Nerf Bars, Andersen Ultimate Hitch, ATTA Freedom Fill System
Living Full Time in a 2015 39MB Tan & Burgundy Urban Clay/Caramel Dual ACs, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top, myRV Linc Remote, MorRyde SRE 4000, Titan Disk Brakes

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #6

Rob, one thing you might want to get and have the dealer install before you even take delivery is the rubber cushioned spring hangers from Sulastic.com. Made a tremendous difference on my F350 for unlauded ride but even more remarkable on my stepsons Ram 3500. His rode like a board unloaded and now is almost like a 150. They are incredible and easy install.

One other thing on the new Ram, look at bed height. I've seen 3 rigs in our KOA this summer with new Rams and every one of them the trailer rode significantly nose high and no way to lower it. The one guy was taking his in to have the trailer suspension raised if possible to try and even out the axle weights. Not talking against the Ram, just something to look at. I've heard similar problems with the new Fords also.

Vaughan & Tracy and the Critters 2013 Redwood 36RL following a 2013 Ford F350 DRW. MorRyde IS, Kodiak Disc, Comfort Ride Hitch, MorRyde Pinbox, and a bunch more. And coming soon ~ Fred the Focus tagging along behind Tilda the Redwood.

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #7

Congrats on the Ram and welcome to the club!

As a previous Ford owner turned Ram Fan for life, what Piper Guy says has some merit. When I load the 38Gk, she will sit the truck down a couple of inches. To compensate, I'll be installing the Firestone Air Bags tied to a compressor. I also intend to install the 109 Gallon auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank/Tool Box Combo. And, I'll likely install the front cattle grill. That should redistribute some of the weight toward the front. I also have the older Companion hitch. It is non-reversible so I'll change the base to the newer style base. That will shift the load up about 2"-3" forward which will also help to better level the truck.

Overall, I am VERY happy with the Ram. After changing to the 8000 # axles, disc brakes and H rated tires, it did help raise the RV about an inch. I need about 1 more inch or so to make it level. The clearance over the truck bed is about 6". I would like to be higher than that. The truck just rides higher. But, then if I do, I would really have to consider raising the RV at that point. I am already at 13' 3". Hate to go any higher.

As for the truck, it will come with Nexen tires. That's the Spec OEM brand. The Brand brags that these are the best tires with the best warranty. But I put that warranty to the test at 20,000 miles...It was worthless. So I put the Michelin tires on and haven't looked back. The Nexen were quiet. They also had a good road grab. They just don't last. The Michelin are equally quite. They did feel a bit different grabbing the road. Initally, they felt loose. But after 10,000 miles, they felt much better. They now have 30,000 miles on them and still look brand new.

A couple of other options....

The "BED" camera would have been real nice. I have the tailgate camera and its nice but the BED camera would have been great for lining up the hitch.

Consider the dual 440A alternators and dual batteries, winter package and cargo lights.

There have been 8 recalls since 2014. Nothing real major but an inconvenience taking it back and forth. The most expensive involved replacing the NOx sensor and the Catalytic Convertor. I'm sure that set them back a few bucks. Each time, the dealership has provided a loaner/rental car. Make sure you get all the recalls done before accepting delivery.

Oh...And make sure you get the Gooseneck adapter installed (or 5 Puck System). It doesn't come with it unless you order it. I'm assuming you'll drop a Companion hitch or similar in...

Congratulations again! Can't wait to see pics of it!

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #8

• Char+Steve
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 38

• “Char+Steve’s
  • Redwood/2014/36FL
Congratulations Rob on the new truck!!!! I have a guy who works for me who just picked up a new 2017 Ram, crew cab 3500 with the diesel a few weeks ago and loves it. Pearl white. Only thing he doesn't like is his monthly payment.

Steve

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #9

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL

atom ant wrote: Ram makes a beautiful truck! Always liked the looks of them, although both Chev and Ford have some nice lines now too. That air ride seems like a great feature!

I'll be looking at your tailights with all that mite in that new Cummins! Thats almost as much hp and torque as my 8.9 ISL Cummins and I'm pulling 44k lbs with it. You'll have to reinforce that pin box again!

AA

Have a MorRyde Pin Box now, should not have to reinforce it !!!!

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #10

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL

Piperguy wrote: Rob, one thing you might want to get and have the dealer install before you even take delivery is the rubber cushioned spring hangers from Sulastic.com. Made a tremendous difference on my F350 for unlauded ride but even more remarkable on my stepsons Ram 3500. His rode like a board unloaded and now is almost like a 150. They are incredible and easy install.

One other thing on the new Ram, look at bed height. I've seen 3 rigs in our KOA this summer with new Rams and every one of them the trailer rode significantly nose high and no way to lower it. The one guy was taking his in to have the trailer suspension raised if possible to try and even out the axle weights. Not talking against the Ram, just something to look at. I've heard similar problems with the new Fords also.

Will be interesting to see how it sits with the Redwood hooked up.
I agree, all the Trucks sit higher these days but with ordering a 2 x 4 hoping it will sit a little lower and with the rear air suspension there are no overload springs and the leaf spring packs are much smaller.
Will see how it rides after I get it, will look at Sulastic.com also, thanks for the tip

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #11

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL

GipCTravelers wrote: Congrats on the Ram and welcome to the club!

Oh...And make sure you get the Gooseneck adapter installed (or 5 Puck System). It doesn't come with it unless you order it. I'm assuming you'll drop a Companion hitch or similar in...

Congratulations again! Can't wait to see pics of it!

The Rams are now shipping with a Curt Hitch option.
Just so happens I currently have a Curt 24Q that I really like, Curt makes a Ram puck mount that I can install my hitch head on and at it fits right into the Ram puck system.
I am ordering the Puck System and Spray in Bedliner, guess I will see how it sits and rides with the rear air suspension before doing anything, Have not been able to find a Ram 3500 on the lot with the Air Suspension to see how it sits and works, hoping it works well.

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 2 days ago #12

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL

Char+Steve wrote: Congratulations Rob on the new truck!!!! I have a guy who works for me who just picked up a new 2017 Ram, crew cab 3500 with the diesel a few weeks ago and loves it. Pearl white. Only thing he doesn't like is his monthly payment.

Steve

I would agree with the comment about not liking the payment, they sure do not give these trucks away these days,

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 2 months 3 hours ago #13

Congrats Rob! Any excuse to get a new truck is a good excuse! Bet you can't wait to hook it up! Enjoy!

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 1 month 4 weeks ago #14

• Buan-Lester
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 4

• Redwood/2014/38GK
Congrats Rob, Hope we will both be happy , our 2017 will be delivered Monday, went by the Ram dealer with the F350 wobble problem, I think they got it all worked out. Laramie DRW, Air Bag/assist, 4X4, Pearl white, two tone brown interior, heated and cooled seats, just the normal stuff BUT thanks there is no moon roof.

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 1 month 4 weeks ago #15

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL

Buan-Lester wrote: Congrats Rob, Hope we will both be happy , our 2017 will be delivered Monday, went by the Ram dealer with the F350 wobble problem, I think they got it all worked out. Laramie DRW, Air Bag/assist, 4X4, Pearl white, two tone brown interior, heated and cooled seats, just the normal stuff BUT thanks there is no moon roof.

Let me know what you think about the Rear Axle Air Assist, have not seen much info on that package, ordered it on my new Ram.

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 1 month 4 weeks ago #16

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL
Dealer sent me a text last Firday, VIN Number has been created for our 2018 RAM, in line for build but no production date scheduled yet.

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 1 month 4 weeks ago #17

• Char+Steve
  • NOW OFFLINE
  • Thank You(s): 38

• “Char+Steve’s
  • Redwood/2014/36FL

Rob_Fla wrote: Dealer sent me a text last Firday, VIN Number has been created for our 2018 RAM, in line for build but no production date scheduled yet.

More posts like this one Rob and we will all be waiting for your new truck!!!! Yup.... waiting to see the pictures and makes me feel like our 15' is getting old now.

Steve

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 1 month 4 weeks ago #18

• Buan-Lester
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2014/38GK
the air assist will/can lower the rear by 1" to help hook /up/in, then reset an it it keeps the truck level.
Heck of a softer ride unloaded than the F350, only has 51 miles on it but plan on going camping this week. Nice to be retired.

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 1 month 3 weeks ago #19

For those that don't have an automated air bag system, one might consider the following and connect it to the Firestone Air Bags:

ViAir Compressor Kit 444C OBA P/N 20020 Black - 200 PSI

www.viaircorp.com/recently-added-products/oba-dual444c/

File Attachment:

File Name:
File Size: 0 KB

File Attachment:

File Name:

File Attachment:

File Name:

File Attachment:

File Name:

Last Edit: by GipCTravelers.

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 1 month 3 weeks ago #20

Here is the FireStone Air Bags for the 2014 Ram. Other Ram models may use the same. Check the website:

www.truckspring.com/products/Firestone-R...0__W21-760-2705.aspx
Attachments:

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 1 month 3 weeks ago #21

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL
I think the advantage with the factory "Air Assist System" on the Ram is the Leaf Spring Pack is much smaller because of the Air Assist which will give a much better ride unloaded.
Also from what I can see in the pictures there is no overload leaf springs with the Air Assist package to launch you out of your seat when hitting those bridge entrances and exits.

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 6 days 16 hours ago #22

• Rob_Fla
  • NOW OFFLINE

• “Rob_Fla’s
  • Redwood/2014/38FL
Picked up our new 2018 RAM 3500
So far real impressed with the ride, drive, features and options.
Will make our first pull with our Redwood in a couple of weeks.

Attachments:

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 6 days 13 hours ago #23

Ooooooooohhhhhhhh. That's purr t!

Congratulations!

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 6 days 10 hours ago #24

That's a good looking truck! I don't have any stats to prove it, but from what I see on the road I'd guess the Ram truck has probably taken the #1 tow vehicle spot.

Travelin' Texans
Full timers since 2008
2013 FB Black & Tan
2013 GMC Denali 3500 DRW

Ordering New Tow Vehicle 6 days 7 hours ago #25

• Buan-Lester
  • NOW OFFLINE

• Redwood/2014/38GK
Just got back last Friday from the Florida trip, (1400 miles) average fuel mileage towing and local driving was 14.3 mpg.. on the way from Destin to Huntsville was 10.3mpg. Think it will improve when worked more only 2150 miles on it today. 2017 Laeirame). Exhaust brakes were nice just quietness was better in the '11 F350. Overall happy with the TV
Congrats, think and hope you will have 750,000 miles of no problems.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.186 seconds

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. * 5753 Hwy 85 North #3057 * Crestview, FL 32536 

Working together to

share knowledge and fellowship!

ROGLogoClean

Terms of service

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is the quintessential Redwood Owners Group providing a website and events for the discussion of technical, practical, and entertaining issues relating to all Redwood Residential Vehicles. These include the Redwood, Sequoia, Cypress and Blackwood lines of residential vehicles.  The Redwood Owners Group provides through rallies, meetups and social networking many ways to meet and connect with other Redwood RV owners.

Redwood Owners Group, Inc. is not affiliated with Redwood or CrossRoads Recreational Vehicles, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. 

Join the ROG!

Basic membership is Free!